To my knowledge, accidents related to the use of spas have not been previously reported in the American medical literature. Based on information collected by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, a local southern California newspaper (The Register, Aug 12, 1981, p 24) reported two drownings and four near-drownings. These accidents were related to long hair being pulled into pump outlets.
Williamson1 reported from Australia the injuries of two female patients, aged 13 and 45 years, in which a hematoma appeared on the back of each victim caused by suction at the pump outlets. Williamson mentioned a newspaper report of the drowning of a young female whose hair was pulled into the pump outlet.
Report of a Case.—An 8-year-old girl was examined for swelling and discoloration of the left gluteal region. She had been playing in a neighbor's spa when suction pulled her left gluteal region into the pump