To the Editor.—I hope it is not too late to comment on Wittig's article on hyposensitization therapy in allergy (Amer J Dis Child120:578-583, 1970). Wittig puts the spotlight on a problem that deserves to be brought out into the open, to be discussed by pediatricians and allergists alike. The problem is that too many patients are getting "allergy shots" who do not need them.
Wittig states clearly that hyposensitization is of value if used properly and carefully, providing avoidance is not possible. It is hardly a secret that this concept is frequently ignored. Many patients are receiving antigenic mixtures, mainly on the basis of positive skin tests. This is not hyposensitization. It seems to me that spotty teaching of allergy in our medical schools, "quickie courses" in allergy, and overreliance on skin tests are the main reason for this sad state of affairs.
Wittig frankly points out