CLINICAL HISTORY.—A 22-month-old boy was admitted to the Los Angeles Childrens Hospital two hours after he had ingested approximately 2 oz of a petroleum distillate. The mother reported the infant did not vomit, but he began to cough immediately and, subsequently, became drowsy and lethargic. A radiograph of the chest was obtained (Fig 1), and the stomach was lavaged with saline.
During the first two weeks of hospitalization, the infant was extremely ill with tachypnea, tachycardia, fever, and manifestations of central nervous system depression. Multiple antibiotics were administered, and, after the first week, steroid therapy was initiated. Fever persisted intermittently for the first month of his two months' hospitalization.
Denouement and Discussion
The radiographic and clinical pictures were quite striking, and representative of that seen with ingested furniture polish. This was in contrast with roentgenograms of children who have ingested kerosene or other petroleum products. With the latter, one sees