Much has been written about the seriousness of accidental poisoning in children, but despite the large amount of work done in this field the problem remains relatively unchanged. Preventive measures have been limited to attempts at parent education, safety caps on acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin) bottles,3 and the setting up of poison control centers where the child who has already poisoned himself can receive adequate and quick treatment. The purpose of this article is to present a new type safety cap and bottle that I believe would be effective in reducing the number of poisonings in children, due to the accidental ingestion of drugs in pill form.
Corsa and Stallones 1 studied 495 cases of poisoning in children under five years of age. They found that 67% of these cases were due to ingestion of drugs, and acetylsalicylic acid was involved in more than half of these. The National Clearing