The frequency with which foreign objects are swallowed by children is well known. We have recently observed a patient in whom a swallowed safety pin perforated through the esophagus into the heart producing cardiac tamponade. Despite prompt diagnosis and therapy, the case terminated fatally because of complications which will be described. This case is reported to call attention of physicians who see children this complication of foreign-body ingestion which we have been unable to find previously reported.
Report of a Case
An 11-month-old white boy was admitted to the pediatric service of the Vanderbilt University Hospital with a complaint of "whooping cough."The patient's 3-year-old brother was said to have developed pertussis 8 weeks previously. Six weeks prior to admission the patient had developed rhinorrhea, fever, and cough which subsequently became paroxysmal and accompanied by a whoop and vomiting. Ten days prior to admission he had two generalized convulsions and