NAPHAZOLINE hydrochloride N. N. R. ("privine hydrochloride") was introduced in 1942; since that time it has become one of the widely used nasal vasoconstrictors. Fortunately, its toxic reactions have been confined to mild local and rare systemic effects.
The following case is of interest because of the bizarre and severe symptoms which resulted from the oral ingestion of "an estimated 3 or 4 cc." of the 0.1 per cent solution (the father's statement).
REPORT OF A CASE
T. C., a 22 month old white boy, the son of a physician, was admitted to the Babies Hospital on June 24, 1946. The accident had occurred two hours and thirty minutes prior to admission. The signs and symptoms as recorded by his father were as follows: Fifteen minutes after ingestion of the drug, the patient asked for water and took 3 ounces (90 cc.); thirty minutes later, he became fretful, cried and