The paralysis caused by the bite of the female American dog tick, Dermacentor variabilis Say, is sufficiently rare to warrant reporting an additional case.
REPORT OF A CASE
F. J. S., a white girl 2 years and 10 months of age, was seen in St. Joseph's Hospital on Oct. 4, 1943, late in the afternoon. Her parents stated that her illness began with fever and restlessness late in the evening of the previous day. Approximately two hours later the child could not move in bed and asked her mother to help her. About five hours after the onset of the acute illness the mother discovered a distinct swelling of the posterior cervical glands on the left side and in a short time found an engorged tick in the scalp approximately 2 inches (5 cm.) from the hair line and a short distance posterior to the mastoid prominence. All attempts to